Absorption, Transmissions, Tints & Coatings
ABO 1 Credit (Technical / Level 3)
Florida – 1 Credit
Diane F. Drake, LDO, ABOM, FCLSA, FNAO
Absorption, Transmissions, Tints, and Coatings presents absorption and transmission of lenses as well as the different types of tints and coatings used on lenses. Included in discussion will be different types of lens materials and the properties of them with regard to absorption/transmission/tints/coatings. A brief description of anti-reflective coatings, polarized lenses, photochromic lenses, UV coatings, scratch resistant coatings, and tints will be included.
INSTRUCTIONAL OBJECTIVES: Upon completing this course the participant should be able to:
* describe the differences between absorption and transmission of lenses;
* explain how absorption and transmission is affected by tints and coatings;
* discuss various types of tints and what they would be best used for;
* identify the principles of polarization and how polarized lenses work;
* explain the principles of a photochromic lens;
* discuss UV coatings and identify some of the lenses that have UV protection inherent in the material;
* discuss the basic properties of anti-reflective coatings, and
* describe scratch resistant coatings.