Are you looking for a position that will put your skills and talents in the opticianry field to use? Post your availability with us!
Your resume will be posted absolutely free for 60 days as one of your NAO membership benefits (nonmember pricing is $75. ~ the same as an NAO membership! Join now for this and all of our other great member benefits!)
Submit your availability via e-mail. Just send your resume to us as a word document attachment.
20 Briarcliffe Drive
Collinsville, IL 62234
Phone: (757) 971-4405
Ophthalmic Industry Specialist with comprehensive knowledge in spectacle lens products, technical
expertise in ophthalmic optics and a strong background in manufacturing, wholesale and clinical
operations supported by strong communication and organizational skills.
- Thirty + years’ experience in ophthalmic lens processing, training, sales and marketing in entrepreneurial, start-up and established companies.
- Exceptional communication and instructional skills.
- Accomplished lecturer with a substantial history of technical presentations.
- Extensive domestic and international travel experience.
Education and Training Manager
May 2014 to present
• Developed training and education programs for wholesale lab, sales, customer service, retail, corporate administrators and eye care professionals.
• Developed retail training program to ABO- certify all store managers and opticians for 21 stores
• Created virtual training program on company intranet for on-demand training
• Authored numerous articles and white paper on Smart Glasses
• Developed and presented ABO and COPE-approved continuing education courses on Wearable Technology
Variable Power Optics Product Specialist August 2013 to May 2014
• Responsible for industry professional relations
• Lead technical and professional representative for VPO (Variable Power Optics) product
• Chief company liaison from global headquarters to the U.S. ophthalmic community
• Monitor regulatory issues impacting company and product interests
• Represent corporate interests in industry societies and organizations
Hoya Vision Care, Inc. 2001 – July 2013
Training and Technical Resources 2006 – 2013
• Promoted to Director, Training and Technical Resources November 2010. Created national sales and product training department. Responsible for writing and implementing comprehensive training program for field sales and lab customer service representatives.
• Produced national sales meeting 2010 to 2013 for education, training and plenary sessions.
Territory Sales Manager / Virginia Territory 2001 – 2006
• Lens product and laboratory service sales to opticians, optometrists and ophthalmologists in Virginia and Washington, DC with an emphasis on Hoya premium products. Grew volume in territory from zero to over one million dollars, net annual sales, in under three years.
• Conducted in-office product and technical workshop events in support of accounts. Attended and staffed major trade show exhibit booths.
• Assisted Regional Sales Managers in new hire training.
The Spectacle Lens Group / Innotech Roanoke, VA 1993 – 2000
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care
Customer Training and Field Services Manager
• Created several programs for start-up company including customer training and installation of the Excalibur™ in-office lens fabrication system. Hired, trained and supervised 8 technical consultants, 4 of which were promoted in the company.
• Conducted training and installation programs to over 100 domestic and international accounts.
• Established and supervised a 6 member international technical support team.
Associate Product Manager
• Conducted market research and managed Alpha / Beta testing of new products leading to the successful launch of 6 new lens products and 5 system upgrades.
• Supervised Specialty Lab to fabricate expanded product parameters.
• Instrumental in the creation of Lens Consultant role in sales force resulting in increased consumable revenue and customer satisfaction.
• Wrote and conducted ABO continuing education seminars on lens fabrication technologies, conducted trade show and VIP demonstrations of in-office lens fabrication system.
Technical Marketing Manager
• Acted as internal technical consultant on lens design, system upgrades and lens fabrication techniques as driven by customer needs.
• Assisted in the design and implementation of 20 clinical studies to support design validation and marketing claims for Definity progressive lens.
• Qualified and trained 6 research sites and supporting research staff.
• Coordinated materials, lens characterization, documentation, logistics and data for all research projects.
• Assisted in the interpretation of data and analysis to optics design team.
Alan R. Hansen, O.D. Olathe, KS 1991 – 1993 Dispensing Optician
• Designed and implemented frame board management system and spectacle lens center.
• Improved patient eyeglass delivery service to next day, in most cases. Increased sales of progressive lenses from 10% to 40% of multifocals in first month.
D.O.C. Optical St. Louis, MO 1989 – 1991
Retail Clinic Manager
• Turn key responsibility for store operations including staffing, P & L, sales and finish lab.
Leader Sport Products Essex, NY 1986 – 1989
Vice-president, U.S. Operations
• Managed U.S. headquarters and operations for this Montreal-based manufacturer of sports eye protection products. Successfully entered the ophthalmic market by partnering with Titmus Optical to distribute Leader sport eye guards to optical retailers.
• Retained Wal-Mart and other large accounts by implementing electronic ordering system before competitors.
• Re-designed physical plant to improve post-production, shipping and receiving efficiency.
Titmus Optical Petersburg, VA 1985 – 1986
Product Manager, Protective Products Division
• Initially hired as Lens Product Manager to develop and promote lens product line including polycarbonate and progressive lenses. Created and taught training school for wholesale distributors on improving polycarbonate fabrication yields.
• Promoted to a newly-created position, Consumer Products Manager. Created a lifestyle dispensing program around protective eyewear at home, including point-of-sale materials, professional continuing education seminars, a nationally-run TV PSA and training video.
• Managed the largest industrial safety eyewear product line in the industry selling through 400 wholesale lab distributors.
Essilor (Multi Optics Corp.) St. Louis / Kansas City Territory 1980 – 1985
Senior Sales Consultant
• Technical detailing to opticians, optometrists and ophthalmologists in Missouri and Southern Illinois on the Varilux 2 progressive lens and to authorized wholesale laboratories sales staff . Sales volume, in units, doubled each year in the territory. Attained fourth place Sales Consultant in 1983.
• Implemented comprehensive support program for distributors at trade shows, technical seminars, conducting sales blitzes and routine account sales calls.
• Promoted to Senior Sales Consultant in 1984. Additionally responsible for assisting in interviewing, identifying and training new sales consultants.
Education and Professional Development
Belmont University, Nashville, TN Music Business Major 1976-1979
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL Radio /TV Major 1979-1980
American Board of Opticianry – Certified since 1991
Fellow National Academy of Opticianry since 1994
Vice-President Opticians Association of Missouri 1983, 1984, 1985
Competent Toastmaster, Past President Roanoke Toastmasters
Who’s Who in Sales and Marketing 1987
Phi Mu Alpha Music Fraternity
International Thespian Society
Former Advisory Board Member; J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College Opticianry Program
Contributing Columnist, Visioncareventure.com e-zine and ECP Central (ecpcentral.com)
Volunteer Optician for Virginia Hospital Center Medical Brigade Mission trips to Honduras
600 E. Gude Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
Provide and consistently maintain standards of excellence in the eye care profession. Demonstrate through professionalism, punctuality, and performance, an ability to build and retain clientele as they are satisfied by the work provided. Cultivating an ongoing rapport and trust with clients and employer by delivering quality in my work along with education and follow-up. Provide coordination and implementation of promotional strategies to help increase sales. I seek to pursue continual education in the areas of service I am employed under, striving to keep current with the ever-changing growth in eye care research, development and technology.
2000 – Present
Self Employed – Pianist and Composer, Broadcast Music Inc.
1997 – 2000
Store Manager – Sears Optical, Gainsville, Georgia
Duties: Store operations and administrative responsibilities
1995 – 1997
Licensed Dispensing Optician – Optical Solutions, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Duties: All surfacing and finish lab work, sales and dispensing, contact lens I & R training
1993 – 1995
Licensed Dispensing Optician/Store Manager – Walmart Vision Center, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Duties: Responsible for daily store operations to coordinate the efforts of all eye care professionals in providing the most efficient service in the community.
1991 – 1993
Student Instructor, ABO and NCLE Certified, Dekalb Tech Institute, 2 Year Degree, Georgia
Duties: Demonstrated all lab equipment used in fabrication of prescription eyewear.
1987 – 1991
Ophthalmic Technician, Eyemed, Atlanta Georgia
Duties: All surface and finish lab work for one hour service lab.
1984 – 1987
Apprentice Optician, Cohen’s Fashion Optical, Broward Mall, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Duties: Sales, dispensing, eyeglass repairs and adjustments, finish lab work, contact lens work, I & R training.
Dekalb Technical Institute, Atlanta, Georgia – 2 Year Certification, 1993
St. Petersburg Vocational and Technical Institute, St. Petersburg, Florida – 1 Year Glass Surfacing Training, 1981
High-energy individual with a desire to be the very best in my field.
I consider myself to be a “student for life” type of person, driven to grow in knowledge to perfect my skills. I am a team player, easy going individual, eager to work with fellow employees to reach common goals for the company. I am extremely neat and organized, and I pride myself on maintaining the company’s clientele and pleasing my employer with optimum work performance.
Current Career Level:
Experienced: Licensed Dispensing Optician
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
25 + Years
Date of Availability:
Licensed Dispensing Optician